Hyper-V is one of the best hardware virtualization technology in the industry. This technology is based on hypervisor which is one of the core and important features of Windows Server 2008. The hyper-v technology offers a scalable, flexible, reliable and highly powerful virtualization platform for webmasters to make strong use of it. Its key features such as guest multi-processing support and 64-bit guest and host support, the high reliability and greater security via its hypervisor architecture tends to offer greater scalability and high performance to its users.
It also offers more flexibility and ability to manage various things by using the features like quick migration of the physical servers to the hyper-v virtual machines and another physical hosts, along with the integration with SCVMM (ie. System Center Virtual Machine Manager).
When you run the full installation of Hyper-V role on the Windows Server 2008, it usually installs all the essential elements of the Hyper-V technology along with the remote management tools which consists of various tools. These management tools includes Hyper-V Manager, which is a management console from Microsoft and the Virtual Machine Connection, that allows you to access the virtual machines directly via a network connection.
Lets, begin with the installation process of hyper-v on windows server 2008. Before starting with the installation procedure make sure you have the following required things.
Requirements for Installing Hyper-V: #
Hyper-V is a bit different virtualization technology, hence requires particular hardware for successful installation. Please make sure you have the following things.
1) x64-based Processor: The hyper-v can only be installed on the x64-based versions of Windows Server 2008, which are Windows Server 2008 Standard, Enterprise and DataCenter Edition.
2) Must have a processor that consists of virtualization options enabled or the HAV should be enabled in the BIOS. The Intel VT and AMD Virtualization includes such options. Along with the HAV, the Data Execution Protection should also be enabled in the BIOS. Make sure you enable the Intex XD bit or AMD NX bit.
If you have Itanium processors, it will not work as the hyper-v doesn’t support these processors.
BIOS Settings: #
Enter the BIOS setup of your server and enable both the “VT” and “XD”. If these two components are not enabled in the BIOS, you might get the following errors messages in the event logs, even after the installation is completed.
- Hyper-V launch failed, Either VMX not present or not enabled in BIOS
- Hyper-V launch failed; at least one of the processors in the system does not appear to provide a virtualization platform supported by Hyper-V.
Hence, make sure that the Execute Disable and VT is set “On” or “Enabled” based upon your servers BIOS settings.
Hyper-V Installation Steps: #
Step 1: Again, before proceeding to the installation steps make sure your windows server is properly configured with the above BIOS settings. Make sure the following things are configured correctly.
- The Administrative password is setup;
- Computer name for server is configured;
- A static IP is set on all the related NICs;
- Your server is activated;
- If necessary make sure you join the server to a domain;
- For remote administration configure the firewall;
- For remote administration enabling the RDP.
Step 2: Open the “Server Manager” and simply click on the “Add Roles”.
Step 3: Select the “Hyper-V” role as shown in the image below and Click on the “Next” button. Choose Hyper-V role. Click Next.
Step 4: You can create connections to a whole network simply by clicking one or more network adapters on the “Create Virtual Networks” window.
It is recommended to have at least two network adapters, which can be used for different purposes. One for virtual network and another for server management.
Step 5: Click the Install button on the “Confirm Installation Selection” window.
Step 6: In order to complete the hyper-v installation you need to restart your computer system. Simply click on the “Close” button to finish the wizard and hit the “Yes” button to restart your computer.
Step 7: Log on using the same credentials used to install the hyper-v role. Once the Resume Configuration Wizard completes the installation process, simply click the “Close” button to finish the wizard.
That’s it! Now you have successfully installed the Hyper-V role on your Windows Dedicated Server 2008. You can use the Server Manager or the Microsoft’s Management Console (MMC) to manage the Hyper-V role.
Like this post ? #
Share on your Social Networking Profile ( Facebook, Twitter & Google+ ) and get a flat 10% Recurring discount on our VPS Hosting and Dedicated Servers.
Email us the shared link at : [email protected] or speak to our live chat operator now, by clicking on the “Live Chat” Scroller on the left-hand side of this page and we will provide you with the discount Coupon right away!